Friday, May 18, 2007

Bob and Lorraine have decided to put the house on Dalarna up for sale and move out of the city and Bob figures they will be moving next month (which makes complete sense considering the boom Calgary is in). I thought it was kind of weird that two brothers who have lived in a city for so many years, may well end up moving out of the city in the same month and in the same year (great minds think alike, I guess).

But Bob's physical move will be quite different than mine (think day and night, black and white) in every way, shape or form. I won't be bringing much stuff out ((six items or less (probably less), although I will store some boxes at a friends here at a friends)). I don't know if that is a tragedy or a comedy on my part. My guitar comes with me for sure and probably my hard drive, and I'd love to bring my bike but I don't know how I can ship a bike.

And of course our mindsets will be quite different just before we move: Bob: That was a chore, gee it will be nice to relax and get to our new place and relax and enjoy and relax. Don: I can't do this, I'm crazy, whom talked me into this, I can't afford it, maybe I should buy an open-ended return ticket, Jim's mad at me I think, I may be okay to be with in the short term but I'm sure that will wear off, etc., etc., etc.

But hopefully the end result will be the same somehow; we'll both be happier. I don't doubt that I'll be welcomed but I don't see what I've got to offer, it certainly isn't fame and riches. I'm already wealthy in some respects, having Neil e-mail me Kara's e-mails from Thailand is worth millions to me. And his pics and Robin's and Ger's and Bob's. And Shaun asking me by e-mail when I'm coming out there because he's got a bike now. And Robin e-mailing me and telling me how he is doing on the guitar.

But the next few weeks are still going to be quite terrible on me until I actually get there. It's not that I don't want to leave Toronto, it's the idea of the things I must do (cancelling cable, saying goodbye to friends, riding my bike in Toronto for one last time). But it will be done.

No comments: