Friday, May 18, 2007

Embarrassing moment

Sheesh I just had an embarrassing experience on the way home from work this afternoon. I was merrily biking up Parliament Street from the beer store (since it's Friday) with 18 beer in my backpack and I got to Wellesley (the street I live on) and was about to turn right when the light changed and a horde of people started to cross Parliament and Wellesley. And so I came to a screeching halt (I wasn't paying attention because I was almost home and I was a touch tired) and as I put my foot out the backpack changed positions (because of the beer) and because of the sudden weight re-alignment, I went right down on my ass. That wasn't the worst of it. It was the horde of people trying to help me up in the busiest intersection in this area. And because I had this heavy backpack still on I was totally helpless lying on my back (I felt like a turtle) and so I needed a horde of people to help me up. The last comment made was by this old guy who was brushing me off: "that must have been quite a shock". As I slowly biked the two remaining blocks to home, I was thinking: 'no, no that wasn't a shock, I've done worse, I'm way passed being shocked by what I do'. And I always thought the old adage that 'most accidents happen close to home' only applied to automobiles. I guess I was wrong.

No comments: